Sunday, July 1, 2012

Art on the Gower

View west from Langland Bay, with steeply dipping strata of Carboniferous Limestone in the cliffs. 40cm x 30cm, 24/06/12

Dipping Carboniferous strata in the cliffs between Langland and Caswell Bays, 27/06/12. 40cm x 30cm. Drawing done on the spot, in a sea mist. Watercolour added later, on the beach at Langland Bay, when it was sunnier and warmer.

Rhossili - watercolour on stretche watercolour paper, 30cm x 15cm approx.
Here are a few outdoor paintings from my week on the Gower peninsula in south Wales at the end of June. They are a mix of watercolour, water soluble pastels / pencils. The weather was very mixed, with some very wet days. It was cold in the winds by sea for June. Some days, too, I combined art and walking, meaning I was limited in what I could carry. Most of my work, then, was sketches in an A4 sketchbook; usually pencil sketches or water soluble pencil / pastel.